Answered By: Jessica Armstrong
Last Updated: May 29, 2020     Views: 84

Please visit the Harvard Library's webpage on Visitor Access for up-to-date, detailed information about using the Harvard Library's collections. 


Special Collections, Archives & Government Documents 

Special collections are available to all researchers, regardless of academic affiliation. The Harvard University Archives, as well as Lamont Library’s collection of government documents, are also available to all. You will need to bring a government-issued ID to the Privileges Office to register for a Special Collection Access Card. 


Additional Levels of Access

We offer two levels of access for qualified researchers wishing to take advantage of library materials beyond special collections and archives — reading room access or borrowing access. Privileges Office staff can help determine which option is best for you.

Reading Room Card

  • A Reading Room Card gives you access to a library’s physical space. You can use library materials while in the space, but you cannot take materials out of the library.
  • Charges apply for some.

Borrowing Card

  • In addition to the access outlined for Reading Room Card holders, Borrowing Card holders can also borrow materials from our libraries.
  • Loan periods vary depending on your affiliation.
  • Charges apply for some.

Need Help? Be in Touch.

Call 617-495-9163
Text 617-237-6641