Answered By: Sarah Dickinson
Last Updated: May 29, 2020     Views: 207

That depends on the type of Special Borrower's card you qualify for.

Special Borrowers cards from the College Library are honored for the following categories:

Faculty research assistant (proxy) cards.
Special Borrowers card issued under the MIT Reciprocal Borrowers Agreement.
Special Borrowers cards issued to Student, Faculty or Staff spouses (upon application at the Circulation Desk).

To apply for one of these Special Borrowers cards go to the Library Privileges Office at Widener Library. Faculty Research assistants should bring an Application for Research Assistant Library Borrower's Card signed by your faculty sponsor. MIT Reciprocal Borrowers should bring a form signed by an MIT Librarian and available at any MIT Library Reference Desk.

Individuals may purchase borrowing privileges for the Loeb Library for a fee of  $250 per year, or $100 for four months.  GSD alumni may obtain privileges for half price ($125 per year or $50 for four months). Only cash and checks are accepted as payment. Renewal of privileges is only available on a per year basis only.  A "Frances Loeb Library Special Borrower" picture I.D. is issued.  This card is nontransferable and valid only at the Frances Loeb Library in the Graduate School of Design. To apply please stop by the Circulation desk at the library between 9 and 5, Monday through Friday.

Please note that special borrowers do not have access outside the library to licensed electronic resources.

Need Help? Be in Touch.

Call 617-495-9163
Text 617-237-6641